Period 5 (1 Oct 2014 – 31 Dec 2015).
3. [Article of the Month] Body ownership causes illusory self-attribution of speaking and influences subsequent real speaking, in IR3C, 01 Dec. 2014
5. When White People See Themselves With Black Skin, Something Interesting Happens, Huffington Post, 15 Dec. 2014
7. Virtual Reality Can Help Reduce Social Biases, Because Some People Don't Get It Until They're in Another Person's Shoes, Bustle, 16 Dec. 2014
9. Changer de peau pour combattre les préjugés, Science Actualités.fr 16 Dec. 2014 (French)
(Same article as the above, in French)
10. 'Virtual Body Swapping' Could Change People's Biases , live science, 16 Dec. 2014
11. Virtual Reality Experiments Are Creating Body Swaps To Put A White Person In A Black Body Business Insider, Australia, 16 Dec. 2014
12. Could virtual bodyswapping help end racism and discrimination? RedOrbit, 16 Dec. 2014
13. Virtual body swap aims to tackle racial prejudice RN Breakfast, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) - radio interview with Mel Slater (15:30mins into the program), 17 December 2014
14. Machine makes people more empathic in Naked Scientists Specials (interview with Mel Slater), 19 December 2014 http://iono.fm/e/126660
15. Inclusion Illusion Lessens Racial Bias , in Scientific American, 20 December 2014
Work carried out as part of VERE features in this '60-second mind' radio spot by Karen Hopkins. Unfortunately neither the project nor the PI get accreditation.
17. Realidad virtual contra el racismo , in El Mundo, 03 January 2015 (Spanish)
Describes work done at UB and IDIBAPS in the application of VR in combating racial biases.
18. Ponerse en la piel del otro funciona, in El Pais, 12 Jan 2015 (in Spanish)
Features work at Event Lab and IDIBAPS.
19. This is your avatar speaking , in The New Yorker, 20 February 2015
An article by Nicola Twilley on her experiences of VR and presence at the Event Lab at UB.
20. Mel Slater: Me fascina cómo la realidad virtual engaña al cerebro , La Vanguardia, 01 March 2015 (in Spanish)
21. Radio interview on afk M94.5 – transmitted on 22.03.2015 (In German):
22. Two Studio interviews on afk TV (German), featuring Robert Jenke of TUM:
[YouTube] "A.I. - Robert Jenke über Roboter mit Emotionen" Interview with Robert Jenke (TUM)
[YouTube] "A.I. - Wie schlau sind Roboter wirklich?" (features an interview with Robert Jenke, TUM around 4:12mins into the clip)
The above have been transmitted on muenchen-tv on 7th and 9th April 2015, see program schedule: http://afktv.de/event/technik-technik/
Thought-controlled robots could immerse paralysed people in the physical world, in Horizon - The EU Research and Innovation Magazine, 04 June 2015 http://horizon-magazine.eu/article/thought-controlled-robots-could-immerse-paralysed-people-physical-world_en.html
26. Virtual reality: The next frontier, in the FT Magazine 18 July 2015
(Features Mel Slater.)
27. [Voices of VR Podcast] Mel Slater on VR Presence, Virtual Body Ownership, & the Time Travel Illusion, 06 August 2015
Spectrum.de, 19 Nov 2015, interview in with Prof. Thomas Metzinger. http://www.spektrum.de/news/interview-die-unterschaetzten-risiken-der-kuenstlichen-intelligenz/1377620Fukushima der künstlichen Intelligenz,
29. Au coeur des Robots, ARTE TV in French and German, accessible also on [YouTube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuDTl019vjk
30. [YouTube] Humanoid robot embodiment with a brain-computer interface, VERE results, posted by partners CNRS, UM2 (2:20 mins)
Invited Talks & Organised Events
31. M.V. Sanchez-Vives "Virtual Reality" in NOVUM, Festival of Science, Technology and innovation in Barcelona. Ideas for inspiring, moving and stimulating creative thinking. April 13th, 2015.
32. A. Kheddar, L'homme augmentée, Institut des hautes études de défense nationale (IHEDN), Paris, 18 Décembre 2015.
33. A. Kheddar, Omnitask humanoid robotic technology– Applications and challenges, IEEE ICMA Workshop on Robotics and its Real-world applications: state-of-the-art, Beijing, China, August 2, 2015.
Three new patents were submitted by partner IM-BAS in this period in relation to the WP11 work carried out in VERE:
39. Ivanka Veneva. et al., Lower limb with active joints. Application for BG patent of an invention, Reg. № 112139/06.11.2015
40. Dimitar Chakarov et al., Torque measuring device. Application for BG patent of an invention,
Reg. № 111934/20.02.2015.
41. SergeУ RancСev et al, А fluid drive device, Application for BG patent of an invention, Reg. № 112191/28.12.2015.
More info from the Patents Office of Bulgaria:
Period 4 (1 Jun 2013 – 30 Sep 2014)
Media coverage – YouTube, TV, Web and other
2. Pacific Standard, Digital edition (06 June 2013) Racist? Virtual Reality Could Fix That
3. Kinja (6 June 2013) Is there a technological fix for racism? These scientists say yes.
5. The Independent (07 January 2014)
Virtual reality isn't just a gaming gimmick, it could improve empathy levels and even reduce racial bias http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/virtual-reality-isnt-just-a-gaming-gimmick-it-could-improve-empathy-levels-and-even-reduce-racial-bias-9043832.html
6. El Mundo (28 Dec2013) Realidad virtual 'versus' racismo,
8. The Digital Agenda for Europe website VERE - Virtual Embodiment and Robotic Re-Embodiment, A Europe 2020 Initiative, 31 Dec. 2013
Invited Talks & Organised Events
9. IDC H. lab took part in the organization of a conference in Tel Aviv: The Politics and Aesthetics of Posthumanism. This included a special evening in the Yarkon 19 art gallery where scientific and technological highlights from the VERE project were presented to the general public, with speakers from partners WIS and SSSA. May 2014.
10. Doron Friedman (IDC H) took part in a panel discussion on "The impact of Cyber on Brain, Thought, and Behavior", at the Wolf Conference in the Knesset (Israeli Parliament), June 2014.
11. (Keynote speaker) A. Kheddar (CNRS), Omnitask humanoid robots, Plenary session, The 11th International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambiant Intelligence (URAI), 12-15 November 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [WP5].
12. (Invited talk) A. Kheddar, Comanoids: human-humanoid joint actions, IEEE ICRA Workshop on "Affective Haptics for Human-Robot Interaction", invited by M. Ammi, 31 May 2014, Hong Kong, China. [WP5]
13. (Keynote speaker) Mel Slater (UB) "Virtual Body Ownership and Agency". ACM Symposium on Applied Perception, Vancouver, Canada, 08/08/2014.
14. (Keynote speaker) Mel Slater (UB) "Perceptual and Behavioural Consequences of Virtual Embodiment". European Conference on Social Intelligence, Barcelona<, Spain, 2014.
15. (Keynote speaker) Mel Slater (UB) "Gaining New Experience by Self- Transformation in Immersive Virtual Reality". iED Europe 2013 London Summit, London, U.K. 29/11/2013
16. (Invited talk) Mel Slater (UB) "Virtual Reality Can Transform the Self - Results and Implications". Ethics of technological transformations of human experience, Geneva, Switzerland. 14/05/2014
17. (Invited talk) Mel Slater (UB) "The Implications of Body Ownership and Agency: Studies Using Immersive Virtual Reality". London virtual social interaction workshop, London, UK Sept 2014.
18. (Invited talk) Mel Slater (UB) 2014: Knowing, doing, being: cognition beyond problem solving invited talk for FET Info Day, Brussels, Belgium, 20/01/2014
19. (Invited section talk) Mel Slater (UB) "The body and virtual reality". Symposium on Pain and Pleasure: The Art and Science of Body Representation, Venice, Italy. 22/11/2013.
20. (Keynote speaker) Mel Slater (UB) "Immersive Virtual Reality: Changing the Self Not Just the Place". Virtual Reality Software and Technology, VRST 2013, Singapore, 08/10/2013.
21. (Keynote speaker) Mel Slater (UB) "Body Semantics and Self-Transformation in Immersive Virtual Reality". 9th International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC'13). Rethymnon, Crete. Greece. 31/07/2013
22. (Invited section talk) Mel Slater (UB) "The Human Brain Project and Body Representation". Semana de Proyectos Europeos Flagship: Grafeno y Cerebro Humano, Santander, Spain. 27/06/2013
Patent EP2858791 (App no.13792438.7, date: 11.06.2013) "An exoskeleton structure for physical interaction with a human being"; Details of this can be found at the European Patent Register portal:
A second earlier patent has also been progressed:
Patent EP2613753 (App no. 11813381.8, date: 12.09.2011) "Device to relieve the articular efforts resulting from the weight of a human limb". Details of this can be found at the European Patent Register portal:
Public Exhibitions & Demos
02–03 Jun 2013: BCI-2013 Workshop. Asilomar, Ca, US (g.tec) [WP3]
03– 07 Jun 2013: BCI Meeting 2013. Asilomar, Ca, US (g.tec) [WP3]
08–11 Jun 2013: European Neurological Society, ENS. Barcelona, ES (g.tec) [WP3]
16–20 Jun 2013: Human Brainmapping Annual Meeting, Seattle, US (g.tec) [WP3]
20–24 Jun 2013: Resna Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology, Bellevue, US (g.tec) [WP3]
03–07 Jul 2013: EMBC in conjunction with the JSMBE, Osaka, JP (g.tec) [WP3]
05–09 Sep 2013: AEC Festival 2013, Linz, AT (g.tec) [WP3]
27 Sep 2013: European Researcher's Night 2013, Lisbon, PT (IT) [WP3&6]
07-Oct 2013: Live demo: Humanoid Physical Embodiment to Mrs. Genevieve Fioraso, French Minister for Higher Education and Research (CNRS/AIST JRL) [WP5]
16-Oct 2013: Live demo: Humanoid Physical Embodiment to Dr. Jean-Yves Marzin, director of CNRS-INSIS institute (CNRS/AIST JRL) [WP5]
22–23 Oct 2013: DEMOVE Symposium: Translational Engineering in Neurorehabilitation Göttingen, DE (g.tec)
6-8 Nov 2013: ICT Conference 2013, Vilnius, LTU (IT) [WP3&6]
6–8 Nov 2013: 6th International IEEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, San Diego, Ca., US (g.tec)
07–08 Nov 2013: 5th International Workshop on Advances in Electrocorticography, San Diego, Ca., US (g.tec)
09–13 Nov 2013: Neuroscience 2013, San Diego, Ca. US. (g.tec)
11 Nov 2013: BCI Party, San Diego, Ca, US. (g.tec)
14–17 Nov 2013: International Human-Centered Robotics Symposium HuCeRo-2013, Cincinnati, US (g.tec)
5-8 Jan 2014: VISAPP 2014 – 9th International Conference on Computer Vision, Theory and Applications, Lisbon, PT (IT) [WP3&6]
29-Jan 2014: Live demo: Humanoid Physical Embodiment to Japan Electric Association (JEA) delegates (CNRS/AIST JRL) [WP5]
25-Feb 2014: Live demo: Humanoid Physical Embodiment to Airbus Group delegates (CNRS/AIST JRL) [WP5]
Period 3 (1 Jun 2012 – 31 May 2013)
Media coverage – YouTube, TV and other
1. IEEE Spectrum magazine (9-Jul-2012) "fMRI Reads Thoughts In Real Time to Remotely Control Robot" (includes a video) (VERE partners CNRS, IDC H., WIS)
The above theme received wide media coverage is several publications. The full list (with over 20 links) is documented here:
YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFzfHnzjdo4
2. BBC Technology news (5 July 2012) 'Man and robot linked by brain scanner',
3. The Economist - Letters page ( 8 Dec 2012) "The Horrors of War"
Patrick Haggard (UCL), Anthony Farrant (UCL) and Thomas Metzinger (JGUM) have had a letter published in The Economist in response to an article on the use of virtual reality to treat post-traumatic stress disorder in soldiers. This letter has basis on work and results of the VERE ethics work in WP8.
4. Euronews (13 Nov 2012) 'A world without limits' featuring work of partners UB, SSSA (with video): http://www.euronews.com/2012/11/13/a-world-without-limits/
5. Euronews (03 Jun 2013) 'Mind-controlled robot moves closer to reality' featuring work partner CNRS (with video): http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/03/mind-controlled-robot-moves-closer-to-reality/
(Same article also in French: http://fr.euronews.com/2013/06/03/controler-un-robot-par-le-pouvoir-de-la-pensee/ )
6. DigInfo TV (13 Nov 2012) - 'Brain Computer Interface used to control the movement and actions of an android robot' http://www.diginfo.tv/v/12-0199-d-en.php (VERE Partner CNRS)
[same video also available on YouTube]
7. Nikkei (date), the largest financial newspaper in Japan, reported on VERE results (in Japanese)
(with embedded video:
8. Bloomberg TV (Feb 2013) "Israeli Making Huge Advancements in Brain Science" (incorporates a feature on partner IDC H. and brain-machine interfaces)
9. Huffington Post (June 2012) "Thought-Controlled 'Avatar' Robot Developed By Scientists For Virtual Embodiment". The original article first appeared in the New Scientist (UK) last year. This current article refers to the original and includes an embedded video.
10. IEEE Spectrum – Inside Technology (September 28, 2012): Brain-Computer Interface for Spinal Cord Injury.
11. National Geographic Israel (6/11/2012) (In Hebrew)
12. Pacific Standard (News Blog, June 2013): "Racist? Virtual Reality Could Fix That" http://www.psmag.com/blogs/news-blog/experiencing-yourself-as-a-black-avatar-decreases-bias-59399/
13. Live Science (28/5/2013): "Jedi Mind Trick? Brain Thinks It Inhabits Virtual Body" http://www.livescience.com/34776-virtual-body-merges-with-real-body.html
14. g.tec was awarded the "Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2012" prize.
15. BCI Awards 2012 – organised by g.tec.
This is an annual event, started in 2010, which is organised and run by g.tec and in which a prize is presented to a scientist for outstanding and innovative research done in the field of Brain-Computer Interface. This year the event was held at the SfN annual meeting of Neuroscience 2012, held in New Orleans, Louisiana, on 13-17 October 2012.
16. Brain Awareness Week – 2013 (Neuroscienze in Società) in Rome, 11-13 March. VERE PI Salvatore M. Aglioti (Partner FSL) organised the 3-day event which included a 'Virtual Reality and Cave open-house" as well as three keynote talks by VERE partners Mel Slater (UB), Massimo Bergamasco (PERCRO) and Mavi Sanchez-Vives (IDIBAPS).
The agenda and more details of the event can be found here:
A report on the event is also available here:
17. TEDx Barcelona May 2013 – 'From Body to Brain' talk by Patrick Haggard (UCL)
19. Barbican Centre - Wellcome Trust event (7 - 9 April 2013, London, UK) "Body Illusions: Can you fool the brain about what the body is like?" Public engagement by UCL, as part of the Wonder: Art & Science on the Brain Fair.)
20. British National Association (BNA) Festival of neuroscience 2013, 7 - 10 April 2013 London, UK. (Participation by partner UCL)
21. European month of the Brain – May 2013 As part of the European 'month of the Brain' event in May 2013, VERE project was selected as part of a group of European projects involved in brain related research on the Digital Agenda for Europe web site of the EC. The project's contribution can be found here: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/node/66394
22. g.tec: BCI: IEEE Biorob 2012, Rome, IT. June 24 – 28, 2012 [WP3]
23. g.tec: BCI: ICCHP. July 11 – 13,2012. Linz, AT [WP3]
24. g.tec: BCI: Visit Family van Roermund. Aug 27, 2012. Utrecht, NL [WP3]
25. g.tec: BCI: ArsElectronica Festival. Aug 30 – Sep 03, 2012. Linz, AT [WP3]
26. g.tec: BCI: 24–27.02.2013: 2013 International Workshop on Brain-Machine Interface Systems, Houston, TX. (also as sponsors) [WP3]
27. g.tec: BCI: 05–09.03.2013: CeBit 2013. Hannover. DE [WP3]
28. g.tec: BCI: 21–23.03.2013: 57.Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für klinische Neurophysiologie und funktionelle Bildgebung Leipzig, DE. [WP3]
29. Haggard P. (Invited keynote), DGKN Leipzig, 21-23 March 2013.
30. Kheddar A. (keynote speaker): Contact Humanoids at the "Miniworkshop on Humanoids, Avatars and Robots", Aula Magna of DIAG (Dipartimento di ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale) Sapienza, Viale Ariosto 25, Rome, 4th November 2012. [WP5, 4]
31. Pavone, E. presented Brain Monitoring of Erroneous Actions Performed by an Avatar: An EEG Study in Immersive Virtual Reality at the "Miniworkshop on Humanoids, Avatars and Robots" at Aula Magna of DIAG (Dipartimento di ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale) Sapienza, Viale Ariosto 25, Rome, 4th November 2012.
32. Madary, M. (invited lecture) "Seeing Our World" Osnabrück, April 2013 [WP8]
33. Sanchez-Vives, M. (Keynote Speaker) "Virtual reality: A new body, a new experience", at the Catalan Society of Neuropsychology event, 14 June 2013, Barcelona. [WP7]
34. Sanchez-Vives, M. (invited talk) "The Aggressor in the Victims Role", American Psychological Society Symposium: New Methods in the Study of Aggression: From Genetics to Immersive Virtual. Orlando, Florida, August 2012 [WP7]
35. Sanchez-Vives, M. (invited talk) "Virtual Reality in the real world: the case of gender violence" Brain Awareness Week: Neuroscienza in Societa, 11/03/2013, Rome Italy [WP7]
36. Sanchez-Vives, M. "Virtual reality in the intervention with victims and abusers" Centre of Judicial Studies of Catalunya, May 2013, Barcelona.
37. Slater M, (invited talk) "Virtual Reality - Changing the Self Not Just the Place" BNA 2012: Festival of Neuroscience, 07/04/2013, London [WP6]
38. Slater M., (Keynote Speaker), "The real power of virtual reality - Il vero potere della vero potere" , Brain Awareness Week: Neuroscienza in Societa, 11/03/2013, Rome Italy [WP6]
39. Slater M., (Invited talk) "The Virtual Body, Los Retos de la Neurociencia en el siglo XXI: Creando diálogos entre cerebro", Valencia, Spain, 26/9/2012 [WP6].
40. Slater M., "Sensorimotor contingencies and body ownership in virtual reality, New Strategies to Optimize the Acquisition and Consolidation of Motor Skills", FENS Satellite Symposium, FENS 2012, Barcelona, Spain, 13/07/2012 [WP6]
Conferences and posters
41. Blanke, O. and Metzinger, T. "Towards a comprehensive theory of subjectivity and selfhood: Philosophy, cognitive science, neurology, and neuroimaging" Tutorial Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness July 2012, Brighton, UK. [WP1]
42. Borland D, Peck T, Slater M (2013) An Evaluation of Self-Avatar Eye Movement for Virtual Embodiment. Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE Transactions on (Volume:19 , Issue: 4 ) DOI: 10.1109/TVCG.2013.24 [WP6].
43. Ferrè ER, Haggard P. Balancing exploration and exploitation with vestibular stimulation. Oral presentation. Experimental Psychology Society, London Meeting, January 2013. [WP1]
44. Ferrè ER, Haggard P, Bottini G, Iannetti GD. Vestibular stimulation modulates early cortical responses elicited by selective nociceptive stimuli. Oral presentation. Neuroscience 2012. Society for Neuroscience, New Orleans, Oct 12 – 17, 2012. [WP1]
45. Ferrè ER, Haggard P, Bottini G, Iannetti GD. Vestibular stimulation modulates early cortical responses elicited by selective nociceptive stimuli. (poster) 8th FENS Forum of Neuroscience, Barcelona, July 14-18 2012. [WP1]
46. Ferrè ER, Haggard P, Bottini G, Iannetti GD. Vestibular stimulation modulates early cortical responses elicited by selective nociceptive stimuli. (poster) International Association for the Study of Pain Meeting, Milan, August 27-31, 2012. [WP1]
47. Ferrè ER, Fuentes CT, Haggard P. Reallocating the world. Vestibular contribution to distance perception. (poster) Association for scientific study of consciousness ASSC16, Brighton, July 2-6 2012. [WP1]
48. P. Gergondet, D. Petit, A. Kheddar, Steering a robot with a brain-computer interface: impact of the video feedback on BCI performance, IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN), Paris, France. 9-13 September 2012 [WP3]
49. Jenke R., Peer A., M. Buss, Effect-Size-Based Electrode and Feature Selection for Emotion Recognition from EEG, IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ICASSP.2013.6637844 [WP3]
50. Jenke R., Peer A., Buss M., A Comparison of Evaluation Measures for Emotion Recognition in Dimensional Space, 3rd Workshop on Affective Brain-Computer Interfaces at IEEE International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction, 2013, DOI: 10.1109/ACII.2013.154. [WP3]
51. Kapeller C., Hintermüller C., Abu-Alqumsan M., Prückl R., Peer A., Guger C.. A BCI using VEP for continuous control of a mobile robot, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), July 2013, Osaka, Japan. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2013.6610734 [WP3,5]
52. Kapeller C., Hintermüller C., Abu-Alqumsan M., Prückl R., Peer A., Guger C.. SSVEP Based Brain-Computer Interface Combined With Video for Robotic Control, Proceedings of the Fifth International Brain-Computer Interface Meeting, 3-7 June 2013, California USA. DOI: 10.3217/978-3-85125-260-6-132 [WP3,5]
53. Kapeller C., Hintermueller C., Abu-Alqumsan M., Großwindhager B., Prueckl R., Peer A., Allison B. Z., Guger C., (2012): SSVEP based BCI system as general control interface for computer programs using a new overlay technique. In proceedings of Neuroscience 2012 Oct 12 – 17, 2012. New Orleans, US. (Poster) [WP3,5]
54. Kapeller C., Hintermüller C., Guger C., (2012): Overlay SSVEP study. In proceedings of Neuroscience 2012 Oct 12 – 17, 2012. New Orleans, US. (Poster) [WP3]
55. Kapeller C., Prückl R., Ortner R., Lechner A., Guger C. (2012): Passives Echtzeit-Mapping des eloquenten Kortex mit intrakraniellen EEG. In proceedings of Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für klinische Neurophysiologie und funktionelle Bildgebung, Leipzig, DE. (Poster) [WP3]
56. Korostenskaja M., Kapeller C., Paris A., Chen P.-C., Lee K. (2012): Towards Direct Mental Control of Virtual Environment: Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Approach. In proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality 2013, Mar 16 – 23, 2013. Orlando, Florida, US. (Poster) [WP3
57. Lechner A., Ortner R., Aloise F., Prueckl R., Schettini F., Putz V., Scharinger J., Opisso E., Costa U., Medina J., Guger C. (2012): Comparing the accuracy of a P300 speller for people with major physical disability. In Proceedings of ICCHP, July 11 – 13,2012. Linz, Austria DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-31534-3_27 [WP3]
58. Madary, M. "The Anticipation/Fulfillment Model of Vision Connects Phenomenology and Cognitive Neuroscience" Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness July 2012, Brighton, UK. [WP8]
59. Ortner R., Irimia D.C., Scharinger J., and Guger C. (2012): Brain-Computer Interfaces for stroke rehabilitation: evaluation of feedback and classification strategies in healthy users. In Proceedings of Fourth IEEE RAS/EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob 2012), June 24-27, 2012, Roma, Italy (Poster) DOI: 10.1109/BioRob.2012.6290800 [WP3]
60. Ortner R., Lechner A., Guger C. (2012): Bewusstseinsdetektion mittels P300. In proceedings of 57.Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für klinische Neurophysiologie und funktionelle Bildgebung, Leipzig, DE (Poster) DOI: 10.1055/s-0033-1337305 [WP3]
61. Scandola M., Tidoni E., Grisoni L., Moro V., and Aglioti S.M. "The Rubber Hand Illusion after face stimulation in Spinal Cord Injured people" Presented at the Cognitive Science Arena for Beginners - Brixen 8-9 February, 2013. [WP7]
Period 2 (1 Jun 2011 – 31 May 2012)
TV, YouTube and media coverage
1. IDC H.: EEG-based BCI (talk + live demo), Print Screen digital media and art festival, Tel Aviv, June 2012.
2. Metzinger, T. (2011). Auf der Suche nach dem Selbst. Gespräch mit Martin Sider. Viveka, 47, 24-30.
3. Metzinger, T. (2011). Das rätselhafte Ich. Gespräch mit Stefan Klein. ZEITmagazin, 37, 20-28.
4. Metzinger, T. (2012). Das Gehirn ist eine ontologische Maschine. Gespräch mit Reinhard Jellen (Part Two; exclusive online publication).
5. g.tec: Brain-Computer Interface: AEC Festival 2011. Linz, Austria, September 01 - 06, 2011
6. g.tec: Brain-Computer Interfaces: Medica 2011, Düsseldorf, Germany, November 16 – 19, 2011.
Organised Events, Invited Talks
7. Partner IT was the organiser of the 4th Portuguese Videogame Conference December 2-4, 2011. http://www.dcc.fc.up.pt/~videojogos2011/
8.Mar Gonzalez-Franco of UB was the chair of the International Program Committee for the 1st VERE PhD Symposium, to be held 8-9 October 2011
9.Mar Gonzalez-Franco of UB was part of the panel session "Brain-Computer Interfaces and Virtual Reality: present and future interactions" of the IEEE Virtual Reality 2012, 4-8 March in Orange County (CA) USA (http://conferences.computer.org/vr/2012/prog-panels.html)
Partner SSSA – (renewal of) international patent application "Device to relieve the articulate efforts from the weight of a human limb". The device is a 6 degree-of-motion tracking system for the arm and has been used for the development and testing of the kinaesthetic vest inside the framework of WP2.
Publications in peer-reviewed journals
10. Loconsole C., Barbosa N., Frisoli A., V.C. Orvalho. A New Marker-Less 3D Kinect-Based System for Facial Anthropometric Measurements. In Articulated Motion and Deformable Objects, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2012, LNCS Vol. 7378. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-31567-1_12
11. Longo, M., Iannetti, G. D., Mancini, F., Driver, J., Haggard, P. Linking Pain and the Body: Neural Correlates of Visually Induced Analgesia. Journal of Neuroscience 32(8), 2601-2607 (2012) doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4031-11.2012.
12. Mancini, F., Longo, M. R., Iannetti, G. D., Haggard, P. A Supramodal Representation of the Body Surface. Neuropsychologia 49(5), 1194-1201 (2011) doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia. 2010.12.040.
13. Mancini, F., Longo, M. R., Kammers, M., Haggard, P. Visual distortion of body size modulates pain perception. Psychological Science 22, 325-330 (2011) doi:10.1177/0956797611398496.
14. Metzinger, T., Hildt E., Cognitive Enhancement (Chapter 15). In J. Illes and B.J. Sahakian (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Neuroethics. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. Seite 245-264 ISBN: 978-0-19-957070-6.
15. Metzinger, T. (2011) To be or not to be: the self as illusion. Talk with Krista Tippett, Evan Thompson and Pim van Lommel in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1234, 5-18. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2011.06181.x
16. Miranda J., Alvarez X., Orvalho J., Gutierrez D., Sousa A. and Orvalho V., Sketch Express: Facial Expressions Made Easy. In Computer & Graphics – An International Journal of Systems & Applications in Computer Graphics, March 2012. Doi: 10.1145/2021164.2021180
Courses, workshops, talks
17. g.tec: "Brain-Computer Interface: BCI School", Laurent Bougrain, Nancy, France, November 14 – 18, 2011.
18. IDC H.: "Human-machine confluence and ex-territoria" (talk), Symposium on Objects in space, the ex-territorialism of art, and issues in the technologies of Presence, Tel Aviv, Israel, May 2012.
19. IDC H.: "Using brain-computer interfaces to control virtual and robotic surrogate bodies"(talk), Microsoft Natural User Interface Workshop, Herzliya, Israel, April 2012.
20. IDC H.: "Controlling an avatar by thought using real-time fMRI" (talk), The 16th Annual Conference of the Israeli Society for Internet, Tel Aviv, Israel, Feb 2012.
21. Madary, M. "Intentionality and Virtual Objects: The Case of Qiu Chengwei's Dragon Sabre" Kill Switch: The Ethics of Simulation (talk) November 2011, Munich.
22. Madary, M. "Ethics and Intersubjectivity" (talk) MIND Meeting June 2011, Frankfurt.
23. Metzinger, T. (2011 with D. Birnbacher, T. Ebert, E. Hilgendorf, N. Hoerster, F. Lorenz, M. Schmidt-Salomon, U. Wessels & F.J. Wetz). Für eine Zulassung der Präimplantationsdiagnostik in erweiterten Grenzen: Stellungnahme der Ethikkommission der Giordano-Bruno-Stiftung. http://www.giordano-bruno-stiftung.de/pid.pdf
24. Metzinger, T. (2012). Und morgen ein iPhone im Kopf? Gespräch mit Reinhard Jellen. Telepolis special ("Mensch+ - Upgrade-Revolution für Homo Sapiens") , 1, 78-83.
25. ZEITCampus, 2, 26-28.
26. Slater M., Body Representation in
Immersive Virtual Reality, University of Cyprus, Nicosia. 5/9/11
Period 1 (1 Jun 2010 – 31 May 2011)
TV, YouTube and newspaper coverage
1.Article in El Pais (Montevideo, 20 June, 2010) based on an interview with M.V.Sanchez-Vives (IDIBAPS) on the virtual body swapping, in the technology section: "Un ilusorio cambio de sexo" (An illusory sex change).
2. Participation on a Brain Fair December 20th, 2010 for the Dissemination to the general public. VII Fira de Les Il·lusions del Cervell in Barcelona.Aribau 191, Barcelona (IDIBAPS & UB)
3. Brain-computer interface, Rubber arm illusion and Virtual 3D sounds (Stand manned by UB). Vienna, February 22, 2011.
Courses, workshops, panels
4. (IDIBAPS, UB- Co-organizers of the course): Body Representation in Physical and Virtual Reality with Applications to Rehabilitation. Monte Veritá, Switzerland, 26 Sep - 1 Oct, 2010. http://www.bodyrep.ethz.ch/
5. Gonzalez-Franco, M. of UB is the chair of the International Program Committee for the 1st VERE PhD Symposium, to be held 8-9 October 2011. This is a Symposium organised by VERE PhD students open to all PhD students worldwide.